Dry Bulk Chemical Storage Silos
Industrial Silo Systems for Efficient Material Storage
Any processing plant that uses dry bulk chemicals like quicklime, hydrated lime, soda ash, and magnesium oxide in large quantities, requires an efficient method for storing these chemicals as part of your overall storage silo and chemical processing system. A well-designed industrial silo system will not only allow dry bulk chemicals to be stored safely and protected from the weather, but it will also facilitate effective handling and transferring of chemicals to downstream process equipment.
Let STT help you select and design the right bulk materials silo system to meet your plant’s storage and process needs.
Advantages of Dry Bulk Chemical Storage Silos from STT
STT has been designing and integrating dry bulk chemical storage silos to store and handle dry bulk material for over 50 years. This experience provides us with the engineering expertise to design the best silo storage system and supply the appropriate equipment to ensure your operations run safely and efficiently. We consider all the site and product-specific factors and variables to provide you with the best storage silo solution to address your plant’s dry bulk chemical storage needs. What makes STT different is our diverse experience in many applications, industries, and chemicals, along with the ability to support your storage silo system from concept through to decommissioning, and everything in between.
Bulk chemical storage systems from STT typically include a storage silo with accessories and chemical feed equipment with instrumentation and automation controls to make an efficient and functional system. STT works with you to design the appropriate system tailored to meet your project's storage needs and may include the following features and options depending on your project's requirements and/or requests.
- Fully engineered and integrated silo system
- Storage silo
- Fabricated as welded one piece or modularized bolted pieces in clean and controlled shop environment
- Prepared and coated with industrial grade abrasion and corrosion resistant coating
- Equipped with 60° conical discharge hopper for efficient material withdrawal and sloped roof for self-drainage
- Designed with integrated handling / process equipment as part of the industrial silo
- Wide range of storage capacity: from 700 to 100,000 ft³
- Smaller footprint requirement
- Ability to handle different dry bulk chemical
- Roof-mounted bin vent dust collector
- Silo top guardrail
- Bin activator or aerator to promote the flow of your specific product within the silo to the desired system feeder
- Filling pipe with long radius elbow and target box
- Automatic Control System with PLC
- Skirt area heating and ventilation
- Pressure/vacuum safety relief and manhole combination hatch
- Level monitoring system - high level switch, continuous level measuring transmitter, low inventory switch
- Materials of construction: carbon or stainless steel
- Various technologies for level monitoring and inventory control
- Multitude of flow promotions for the different dry bulk chemical stored
- Accessible with OSHA compliant ladder, stairs or both.
- Silo dehumidifiers
- Skirted or leg-supported silos
- Volumetric or 'Weight-Loss' feeders
- Mixing tanks and/or wetting bowl and chamber
- Insulation of silo skirt section
- Load cell or strain gauge for weight measurement
- Lightning protection system
- Non-slip coating on the roof surface
Industries We Serve
STT has over 50 years of experience designing and integrating industrial dry bulk chemical storage silo systems for a variety of applications across different industries which includes, but not limited to:
- Water Treatment
- Chemical Processing
- General Industrial
- Oil and Gas
- Pulp and Paper
STT customizes your industrial silo systems to include different features and handling equipment, such as pneumatic and mechanical conveyors, that best suits your specific application and industry needs.
BULK CHEMICAL STORAGE SILOS
Contact our experienced experts to get more information regarding the right industrial silo system that best meets your dry bulk chemical storage needs.
What is bulk storage?
For processing plants and industrial applications, bulk storage often refers to equipment or a structure that can be used to store valuable materials such as dry chemicals in large quantities while keeping it dry and protecting it from the environment. Amongst the different bulk storages, industrial silos are one of the most efficient methods used to store these bulk materials.
How do you build a storage silo?
Smaller capacity storage silos can be more effectively fabricated as one piece, hence installing it typically only requires a crane(s) to tilt the silo up after it is delivered.
For larger capacity storage silos, it is often fabricated in modularized pieces to allow for easy shipment and can be assembled using mechanical fasteners (with little-to-no welding) at site. Building these larger capacity silos can be done using a crane(s) and/or with specialized jacks.
How do silos work?
Silos, particularly the cylindrical silo, allows material to be filled from the roof and stores the material in the cylindrical section. At the bottom of the cylindrical silo, a conical hopper allows the stored material to be withdrawn with the help of gravity.
Are silos still used?
Yes, due to its versatility, durability and it being economical, silos are continuingly being the preferred equipment for storing bulk material. The need to always have material available and the ability to purchase dry chemicals in bulk minimizes waste and opens valuable floor space within a plant and/or manufacturing facility.
What is a requirement for storing chemicals?
Several key requirements need to be considered when looking to use silos for storing chemical:
- What is the loose and packed bulk density?
- What is the particle shape and size distribution?
- What is the angle of repose?
- What is the flowability? Will it bridge, rat hole?
- Will it compact with vibration or on its own over time?
- Will the material flood?
- Hygroscopic - will it absorb moisture?
- Is it an agglomerated material?
- Is it sensitive to contamination, water?
- Is it explosive? Abrasive? Heat sensitive?
Knowing the above will allow us to recommend the Industrial Silo with the right features and handling equipment to best store the dry bulk chemical for your plants.